Latest Event Updates
Each day of the second week of band will have a theme. Students can dress up and show spirit for the marching band program.
From someone who’s been there…
1. Bring water JUGS not bottles – 1 gallon is best
2. Wear cool, loose, and comfortable athletic clothing. Avoid dark colors
3. Wear your sunscreen. Getting a sunburn hinders your body’s ability to cool itself.
4. Carry a small back pack/cinch – What should you carry in your bag?
+ a small snack (granola bar, crackers, fruit, etc.)
+ money for off campus meals
+ sunscreen and bug spray – keep in a plastic bag in case of leaks
+ sunglasses and/or hat
+ anything you need that isn’t in your band locker (music, drill, mouthpiece, valve oil, etc.)
+ hair ties/headbands
+ keep your phone in a plastic bag in case it rains
+ pencil or pen
5. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR DRILL ON YOUR PERSON when on the field.
• You should have a binder for music and a pencil. Keep all your music in plastic sleeves so it doesn’t get dirty or wet.
• Your drill should also be kept in a plastic sleeve and should be available to you at all times.
6. Show up at least 10 minutes before call time.
7. Eat a good breakfast with protein and carbs but don’t over eat. Drink LOTS of water every day. If you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated.
• try to avoid milk – Some have found it makes them nauseous when it’s hot out.
8. Remember that you will be out in the sun all day so if you wear a watch, wristband, shirts with sleeves, etc. you will get tan lines.
• You will be allowed to take your shirt off if you want (girls need to wear sports bras…try to avoid white or beige).
9. Go t0 Summer Marching Camp page on the website for a camp schedule.
10. Post your own advice in the comment section of our Facebook post.
See you at camp!
If you had a coupon for $10.00 off your band fees, would you use it? What if you could get an even bigger coupon? Summer is a good time to take advantage of Scrip rebates to earn money toward your band fees. No selling, just shop like you normally would, and use Scrip cards to pay for your purchases.
Get started now: Set up an account at http://www.shopwithscrip.com. Use Enrollment Code 3L5D4B6C3214. Purchase gift cards at face value and a percentage goes into your students band account. The percentage depends on the retailer. You can plan ahead and order physical cards which are great for gifts, or you can set up Presto Pay and order ScripNow e-Cards on the spot. For even more details on the Scrip rebate program visit our Fundraising Page. If you have any questions please Contact Us.
How it can add up:
|Retailer||Purchase||Total Rebate||Admin Fee 10% to Band||Student Account 90%|
|AMC Theaters||40.00 8%||3.20||.32||2.88|
It’s been a great week of Spring Camp. We hope everyone who came to sample a taste of Marching Band has gone away feeling excited and ready to join the Hooch Marching Band Family. This could possibly be the biggest Marching Band Chattahoochee HS has ever had! Mr. Garofalo is ready to start writing drill for this year’s show and he needs an accurate count to do that so make your commitment now.
Next up will be Summer Camp the weeks of July 18th and 25th. There is more information on our Upcoming Events Page and if you have any questions you may use the contact form on that page. This camp is only for students who are committed to Marching Band.
More pictures of Spring Camp on the Photos Page.
If you haven’t already, don’t forget to order your Concert Band and/or Marching Band DVD
May 16-20 from 4-6 in the CHS Band room. If you are interested in the Marching Band Program please come to Spring Camp next week. You will meet the current Marching Band students and get to try out the Marching Band experience. No formal commitment required. Come prepared in comfortable clothing like athletic wear and tennis shoes and bring a water bottle. If you have a question don’t hesitate to Contact Us
Follow this blog to receive updates.
The Annual Band Banquet was on Saturday. It was an opportunity for the students to reflect on what they have accomplished this past year, to collect their letters and awards, and to have some fun.
After watching some memorable clips and the Senior Tributes from the Marching Band and Concert Band videos,
Mr. Garofalo, Ms. Baker, and Mr. Collins shared their pride in the advancements of all the Band students this year. Some notable music awards were:
John Phillip Sousa Award – Andrew Yi
Louis Armstrong Award – Michael Kralik
Directors Award – Alex Scales
Leadership Award – Elizabeth Howell
Marcus Onezime, the new Color Guard Director, gave special recognition to our Winter Guard for their accomplishments this year. After a mid-season Director change, a complete program re-design, and an intense rehearsal regimen the group was able to finish in the top 2 at every regular season show. Not to mention they were the first group in Chattahoochee history (25 years) to attend the SAPA Championships where they finished 2nd! Their excitement and commitment to excellence is going to make for a great Marching Season this Fall.
Some notable Guard Awards were: Melody Herrin and Shayla Perez received Leadership Awards and Amelia Scales and Eryn Young received Outstanding Member awards.
The Class of 2016 band students presented Mr. Garofalo with a pet nanny cam for his dog and a collage of pictures that will surely be hanging in the band hallway soon. Knowing Mr. Collins loves to cook, they presented him with a gift card for cooking lessons and/or supplies. Topped off by a group hug.
The Class of 2016 is filled with talented musicians and all around awesome people. We wish them the best of luck and much success as they journey onward.