Advice from those who have gone before…
- Bring water JUGS not bottles – 1 gallon is best.
- Drink during every water break even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Start spending time outside in the heat and drinking lots of water so that your body is used to it.
- Wear cool, loose, and comfortable athletic clothing. Avoid dark colors.
- Wear your sunscreen. Getting a sunburn hinders your body’s ability to cool itself.
- Carry a small back pack/cinch – What should you carry in your bag?
+ a small snack (granola bar, crackers, fruit, etc.)
+ money for off campus meals
+ sunscreen and bug spray – keep in a plastic bag in case of leaks
+ sunglasses and/or hat
+ anything you need that isn’t in your band locker (music, drill, mouthpiece, valve oil, etc.)
+ hair ties/headbands
+ keep your phone in a plastic bag in case it rains
+ pencil or pen
- ALWAYS KEEP YOUR DRILL ON YOUR PERSON when on the field.
+You should have a binder for music and a pencil. Keep all your music in plastic sleeves so it doesn’t get dirty or wet.
+Your drill should also be kept in a plastic sleeve and should be available to you at all times.
- Show up at least 10 minutes before call time.
- Eat a good breakfast with protein and carbs but don’t over eat. Drink LOTS of water every day. If you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated.
try to avoid milk – Some have found it makes them nauseous when it’s hot out.
- Remember that you will be out in the sun all day so if you wear a watch, wristband, shirts with sleeves, etc. you will get tan lines.
You will be allowed to take your shirt off if you want (girls need to wear sports bras…try to avoid white or beige).
- Go to Summer Marching Camp page on the website for a camp schedule.
See you at camp!
Hope your summer has gotten off to a good start. Summer Band Camp and the Marching Band/Fall Guard Season are right around the corner and fees are due by July 15th. We have extra spaces at Verizon this summer so there is a lot of opportunity to earn $$ before the fees are due. You can get your friends and family to work with you and earn even faster.
Here is some information on each of the fundraising opportunities we have.
- Sign up to work at the concession stand at the Verizon Amphitheater. Once a month Verizon sends us a check for the money we all earned that month and it is divided up among the people who worked that month, based on how many hours they each worked.
- 90% of your earnings are deposited into your student’s band account. The amount usually comes out to about $8/hr. (Not guaranteed, of course.)
- This is the fastest way to earn money toward band fees. The sign ups are emailed through Charms Office, and posted on the Fundraising Page of the website. Even if the slots are filled, still sign up because there is a waiting list in case someone has to cancel. If you are not getting the Verizon sign up emails then you need to check your information in the Charms Office portal.
- Purchase gift cards and use them to make your everyday purchases.
- Once you are signed up for Scrip and have verified your PrestoPay account you can order e-cards called ScripNow and use them to pay for things you already purchase.
- You can print the ScripNow or use it from your phone. There are too many stores to list, but some of the most popular ones are Starbucks 7%, iTunes 5%, Kohl’s 4%, Macy’s 10%, Lowe’s 4%, Home Depot 4%, Amazon.com 3%, Chipotle 10%, Panera 9%, Chili’s 11%, Bath&Body Works 13%.
- Each time you buy an e-card, a rebate is sent to the band of which 90% is put into your band account. The rebate varies depending on the retailer but if you get in the habit of checking MyScripWallet before you pay your bill then the rebates add up.
- This fundraising is a slow and steady way to add funds to your band account.
- Around the holiday’s we have an ordering schedule to order physical gift cards that you can use as holiday gifts for friends, family, teachers, etc.
CHS Concession Stand
- The CHS Concession stand is run by CHSMA – CHS Music Association. Minimum age to work is 14. Shifts are 2 hours, 5-7, 7-9, and 9-11. Earnings in Fall Semester are paid at the beginning of Spring Semester and earnings in Spring Semester are paid at the end of the school year. Earnings are transferred into your students Band, Orchestra, or Chorus account and can be used toward program fees. Sign ups are on the Fundraising Page. Scroll down to CHS Concessions to see sign up links.
Annual Music Department Fundraiser
- Each year the Music Department chooses a fundraiser for all the students taking music classes. This year the CHS Music Department participated in the Yankee Candle fundraiser. Again 90% of the money you earn selling candles is put into your band account.
Currently investigating other fundraisers
- We are putting together a committee who can look into various options for fundraisers and choose one or two that may fit into our model of fundraising in fun way without having to go door to door and sell stuff.
- We would love your input and participation. If you are interested in being a part of this committee please contact our VP of Fundraising using the form below.
Spring Camp for Fall Guard and Marching Band will be May 15-19 from 4-6pm. Anyone interested in the Marching Band or Fall Color Guard can come try it out and see how fun it is to be a part of our award winning team. Band Promo Video. There is no obligation, just a ton of fun.
Rising 9th graders will walk up from TRMS after school and will need to be picked up at 6pm at the CHS Bus Canopy. Bring a snack, water bottle, and sunscreen.
The next Band Booster Meeting will be on Monday 4/17 @ 7pm in the CHS Band Room. The Marching Band Show has changed since the last announcement and Mr. Garofalo will unveil that.
- Slate of officers and voting – New Board takes over on May 1st.
- Marching Band Proposed Budget & Fee schedule
- Show Announcement
- Fundraising – Start earning now toward your Marching Fees which are due July 15th.
- Upcoming Dates/Announcements – Spring Camp, Awards Banquet, Marching Camp, etc.
Feb 9th Annual Meeting Detailed Report – Click to get more details from our annual meeting. Below is a summary.
Annual Band Meeting Summary
- Online Band Registration Link
- Concert Bands – All students will be auditioned and placed in one of 3 bands. Auditions will begin at the end of March.
- Marching Band/Guard – CHS is a competitive Marching Band. There is a time and financial commitment to the program that parents and students need to be committed to. Practices are after school on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with football games on Friday night and 3 Saturday all day competitions during the season. The estimate for next year’s fees is $800 which may adjust slightly as we finalize our budget. Your fees cover, instructors, uniforms, instruments, music, meals, all camps, rehearsals, games, travel expenses and your student’s “Show Shirt”. When the budget is finalized it will be made available.
- Jazz Band – Our Jazz Programs is growing and we may have enough students to have 2 Jazz Band Homerooms next year. There are no upfront fees associated with this program.
Dates to remember:
- March 1st– Scholarship Applications for Marching Band/Guard 2017-2018 season are due. This will be the first year of our new Scholarship Program. It is a need based Scholarship and additional information is on the application. All applications are kept private and families are kept anonymous for the voting.
- March 15th– Marching Band/Guard Deposit is due – this deposit holds a spot for you and is refundable before July 1st if you change your mind. Pay Online and Payment Information are here. Please fill out the Online Registration before paying the deposit. The subsequent payments are due April 15th, May 15th, June 15th, and July 15th. All fees are due before Summer Marching Camp.
- End of March – Auditions for next year’s band classes.
- May 15th– 18th 4-6pm – Spring Camp is an afterschool camp for anyone who is interested in Marching band. TRMS students walk up to CHS together after school to attend. There is no obligation or fee. Come try out Marching Band.
- July 13th& 14th – Mandatory Music Camp – Learn the music for the Marching Show.
- July 17th– 29th – Mandatory Summer Marching Camp – Plan for your student to be at camp all day on the weekdays, and possibly one of the Saturdays. The schedule will be posted on the website as the time gets closer and we finalize the itinerary.
- July 17th– Physical Forms are due by the first day of Summer Marching Camp. You can click the link here or go to the Forms & Resources Page of the website and print from there. They need to be taken to your child’s doctor to sign before camp starts.
How we communicate with you:
- Your best source for information is our website www.ChattahoocheeBand.com. The News & Event’s Page and the Calendar are kept up to date as we get information.
- During Marching Season, there will be a weekly email Newsletter with News and Reminders. Off season there is a bi-weekly Newsletter.
- Charms Office is the software tool that we use to keep track of contact information, financials, and to send out emails and news. Go to www.CharmsOffice.com and our school code is ChattahoocheeBand. This gets you to the public section of Charms where students can find their music and other handouts. Charms also has a private student section where you can view your financial statements and contact information. Go to More Charms Information for instructions on how to access this section of Charms.
- Like our Facebook PageChattahoochee High School Bands
- Follow us on Instagram@CHS_Bands – #chattband when you post band pics
- Follow us on Twitter@CHS_Bands
- Check outour new YouTube Channel Chattahoochee HS Bands
- You can offset the cost of Marching Band/Guard by fundraising. Funds you raise/earn are put into your students account and can be used to pay band fees and for trips. Verizon is the biggest and fastest way to raise funds. You can earn roughly $50 for each person at each shift working at the Verizon Amphitheater Concession Stand. The concert season starts up in late Spring.
- You can earn rebates that go toward your student’s account by purchasing e-gift cards from www.ShopWithScrip.com and using them to pay for your everyday purchases. 100’s of retailers like Starbucks, Target, Lowes, AMC, Domino’s, the list goes on… More Scrip Information
- Go to our Fundraising Page to see more details and instructions on how to use both fundraisers to offset your fees.
- Parent participation is vital to making the Marching/Guard Program happen. Show your student your support and encouragement by getting involved. Fill out our Get Involved Form and let us know how you would like to help.
2018 Spring Trip:
- We ran out of time to announce this but we are planning a trip to Chicago in the Spring of 2018 for all students in the Band Program. We will have more information after Summer Marching Camp.
Current nominations for next year’s Executive Board:
- Presidents – Leesa Robertson and Scott Cullen
- VP Operations – Chase Ashdale
- VP Fundraising – Kenya Taylor
- VP Communication – Kristin Wilson
- VP Uniforms – Leah Haber
- Treasurers – Heather Hale and Erica Greene
- Secretary – Sandra Nuñez
- If you are interested on serving on the board next year, please contact us with the contact form below and let us know what position you are interested in. Elections will be held at the General Meeting to be held in March or April. TBA