Advice from those who have gone before…
- Bring water JUGS not bottles – 1 gallon is best.
- Drink during every water break even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Start spending time outside in the heat and drinking lots of water so that your body is used to it.
- Wear cool, loose, and comfortable athletic clothing. Avoid dark colors.
- Wear your sunscreen. Getting a sunburn hinders your body’s ability to cool itself.
- Carry a small back pack/cinch – What should you carry in your bag?
+ a small snack (granola bar, crackers, fruit, etc.)
+ money for off campus meals
+ sunscreen and bug spray – keep in a plastic bag in case of leaks
+ sunglasses and/or hat
+ anything you need that isn’t in your band locker (music, drill, mouthpiece, valve oil, etc.)
+ hair ties/headbands
+ keep your phone in a plastic bag in case it rains
+ pencil or pen
- ALWAYS KEEP YOUR DRILL ON YOUR PERSON when on the field.
+You should have a binder for music and a pencil. Keep all your music in plastic sleeves so it doesn’t get dirty or wet.
+Your drill should also be kept in a plastic sleeve and should be available to you at all times.
- Show up at least 10 minutes before call time.
- Eat a good breakfast with protein and carbs but don’t over eat. Drink LOTS of water every day. If you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated.
try to avoid milk – Some have found it makes them nauseous when it’s hot out.
- Remember that you will be out in the sun all day so if you wear a watch, wristband, shirts with sleeves, etc. you will get tan lines.
You will be allowed to take your shirt off if you want (girls need to wear sports bras…try to avoid white or beige).
- Go to Summer Marching Camp page on the website for a camp schedule.
See you at camp!